Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chemo 2-21-11

HI Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted, this is because it's been a while since we've had to go to the doctor! My dad had some great accomplishments in the mean time though, he graduated from radiation on February 7th. In total, he did 14 treatments of radiation. This radiation helped big time in stopping the bleeding that he was having, I am happy to be able to say that he hasn't had any bleeding since! While on radiation, he could only be on one chemo drug which was a pill form. Usually chemo comes in a combination of two drugs. He was done with the pill chemo since the 8th so he has had almost two solid weeks off of chemo completely.

In those two weeks my dad's apparently been very busy. We all knew he went to Vegas with my mom, aunt Karen, and uncle Dave. What we didn't know is how much his body was working to re-coop from the radiation and chemo. Yesterday when he went in for his labs, we found out that his white blood count was 4000, which is in the normal range. That is something we haven't seen in I don't even know how long, I would have to look back at the previous posts, but a long time. Also, his hemoglobin was at 11.8 which we also haven't seen in SUCH a long time. This is the number that was so low when he was in the hospital and needing transfusions. Also, this is very close to normal, the normal range is 12-15. This is a great sign, tells us that his body has been healthy enough to make both red and white blood cells. AWESOME NEWS. His weight was pretty stable as well.

The thing that is most impressive is that his CEA which is the cancer cell count that I am always talking about, dropped almost 20 points! It went from 71 to 51.7. This is just amazing. This means that the cancer in his body is dying. We didn't necessarily expect that number to go up or stay the same but it seems like that's what would happen when you were off chemo for a few weeks and only on one drug of it for a few weeks before that. We were so shocked and happy with this number, and all of these numbers.

As I write, my dad and brother are at home getting ready to go in today to get the new chemo drug that we will be trying. I read a little about it online and I just have this feeling it is going to be great. My dad will stay on that pill chemo as well for the other drug. I also think this is a good thing because from the results yesterday with labs, it seems that that pill is doing it's job.

I just want to take a minute to shower my dad with some praise. Everyone should do this for their loved ones in any hard time in their lives, especially if they are a fighter as my dad is.

Dad, your decisions, good outlook on life, and amazing personality have been amazing through this whole battle so far. I'm so glad you have decided to keep fighting so hard and taking care of yourself so perfectly. I am so honored to call you dad, even through some bad news, you have kept pushing forward and fighting soo hard. You could have just given up, but that's not you, you have always taught Ben and I to never give up; you are showing us just how much you meant and believe in that all of them years. Just like you have told us in so many things, racing, jobs, dance, college, "You can do it." "I'll be proud of you no matter what." Well, we are saying that to you dad. YOU CAN DO IT. In this war we are on that front line with you, mom, Ben, and I. We are so proud of you. I know you can do UNBELIEVABLE things because you are an unbelievable person. Your faith along with your will to fight and willingness to take care of yourself goes farther than the average person. With your attitude and Dr. Guenther I think that you have everything it takes to seriously kick this cancer out completely. This cancer doesn't know what it's getting itself into when it's fighting Jim Peterson and Dr. Guenther together.
Keep up the good work dad. I am so proud of you and so thankful for the news this week. I've been praying and praying that this new chemo is just amazing, and for some reason I just have a solid feeling that it is going to be just that.

I love you so much. You are my King and if I could, I would buy you a huge Throne:)

He's heroic in his quiet strength,
and in his caring ways.
My Dad: My Hero

Love always,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment