Monday, March 21, 2011

Chemo 3-21-11

Hi Everyone,

Well chemo went good today. Blood counts were good, Hemoglobin at 9.6 and white blood count at 3,200. He is going to be on a pill for potassium because that was low, but that is a minor problem.

Dr. Guenther was back from vacation so it was nice to see him today. We were concerned because my dad wasn't feeling well all week and we never really pinpointed the true problem. Dr. Guenther really spent a lot of time with us and really tried to reason with the source of the problem. He seemed to think that it is definitely not from the chemo since we have been on the chemo for some time now and it never caused sickness before. All cultures and tests for infection were negative which was good so we are assuming it was a virus. He gave my dad the choice of getting chemo today or not and my dad chose to get chemo.

I realize that it's really easy for me and everyone else to want him to continue to get chemo but of course it is not fair to push it when we don't know how hard it is to deal with. I am so thankful that my dad is such a fighter. I almost started crying in the room when I heard him say I want to keep on the chemo. The rate of survival for esophageal cancer is quite scary but yet my dad doesn't let him stop his fight. There is a 5% survival rate and my dad told his doctor today he wants to be one of those 5%. I truly believe with all of my heart that it is people like my dad who are those 5%. He never gives up the fight and is always willing to do whatever they tell him he needs too. I look up to him more than anyone else in the world. I'm sure that it is so easy to say I give up or sure I will take a week off, etc. but my dad doesn't take the easy way out. Thanks for fighting dad. I wish I could fight for you or get some of those chemo drugs, or take some of those pills or side effects. If I could, I would do it without even thinking. What I can do is tell you how good of a job you are doing and how proud of you I truly am; I am prouder than ever. Stand strong and I can't wait to spend my spring break with you!!

Have I told you lately that I love you Hero?

Love always and forever,
Your little princess

No comments:

Post a Comment